Home Tip Monday

January 29, 2018

Common Household Items that Can Cause a Fire

You never want to smell smoke in your home and realize there’s a fire.  That’s why it is important to be diligent about fire safety.  Experts recommend that homeowners be especially careful with the following common household items:

  • Portable heaters.  Never leave one in a room unattended.  Make sure paper and other combustible materials are well away from these units.
  • Electronics chargers.  We all want our computers, tablets and smartphones to charge quickly.  The price we pay for that convenience is chargers that pull in a lot of power, making them very hot.  Keep them away from combustible material, as well as other wiring.
  • Smoking materials.  Be careful with cigarettes, pipes, cigars and other such items.  Bedding and upholstery, which burn slowly and dangerously, are the source of 75% of smoking-related fires.
  • Candles.  Never leave candles unattended for any reason.  If you must leave the room, extinguish them.
  • Flammable liquids.  These can include paints, thinners and some brands of cleaning products.  Read labels carefully and follow the safety instructions.

    To paraphrase a famous expression: An ounce of prevention is worth not having to deal with a house fire.